Fun and games building our first chicken coop and run.
I'm taking some long service leave so we have decided to start building a chicken run. We chose a location towards the back of the yard behind our new fruit orchard. We think it will blend in here.
Construction is nearly complete on the coop. Here is a quick tour.
First step was to remove some of the soil in the area to try and level the site a bit. As it turned out there was quite a bit more soil (actually mud after the rain) than I thought.
Once the unwanted soil was removed I set out the boundary sleepers and posts. The scattered newspapers were an attempt to reduce the impact of the mud.
After the sleepers were in place I used them to position the fence posts prior to cementing them in. This gave me a clearer idea of where I was eventually going to place the coop.
Time to add the railings that will hold the aviary mesh.
I've dug trenches around the perimeter with the intention of putting the aviary wire and fine gravel in place to deter digging pests. I have seen a few suspicious holes in the garden.
I picked up three sheets of roofing today so I can work out the overall dimensions of the coop. I've sketched out a plan but it is still good to see the parts full size.
The first two posts for the coop are in place,
and are cemented into the ground.
Two more posts in place and the first of the bearers for the roof.
The basic nest box frame starts to take shape. The weather has fined up a bit.
Roof sheets are on so I have got somewhere to hide when the rain comes back!
I have left the space between the rafters and the beams for some ventilation.
The insulation is in place with a lining of polythene.
100 x 16 fence palings seal up the fibreglass insulation and add a rustic touch.
Some 2 x 4s and plywood and I have two of the back access doors in place.
Time to start the framing for front windows.
Add two doors for getting to the egg boxes.
A vent above the egg box that can be closed for bad weather. Apparently chickens let out a lot of ammonia.
I've added insulation to the access doors.
The coop construction is nearly complete. I'll put the windows in after the painting.
A reasonably fine day so let's start the painting.
Undercoating of the interior is complete.
Outside undercoat complete!
Next job is to put drainage in around the coop. I had some gravel and pvc piping lying around so this should keep the area dry.
And then some coarse sand over the top.
First coat of trim colour is on.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!