Coop de' GladeVille
This is my first endeavor into chickens, and something I have been contemplating for a year or so. My construction time was about two months, but that was only because I knew the breeds I wanted would not be ready for a while. I started my project with first locating a good amount of scrap wood. Fortunately for me I had a friend who had just torn down a 20x30 deck, and that provided me all just about all the building materials I needed to frame out my coop. I had another donation of some scrap T-111 and tin for the roof. So i am proud to say I did not spend one single penny on lumber or roofing materials for my coop. Which is good, because I spent another 350.00 in hardware and associated start-up costs.
I started out with creating a 4X12 frame for the base using 2x6's.
Next I used 5/4 decking as my framing for the coop itself.
Then we fashioned the run using 5/4 decking as well.
Another pic from a different angle.
Then we moved on to the coop itself.
A little more complete.
Making progress, getting it enclosed in the donated T-111 siding.
It looks like something more and more.
Worked on the nesting boxes. This took a little planning and laying out but it all came together.
A view from the side.
Final view of nesting boxes. I did go back and get rid of the screws poking through.
Big day reached, I got my garage back and the coop was outside.
Told the neighbors I was raising roosters, they were not impressed...
Skipped taking pictures of painting, but here it is while putting on hardware cloth.
I then enclosed the top and sealed off the ventilation ports at the top with hardware cloth also.
Here are a few finished shots of the entire tractor coop.
All in all I could not be happier. I know I will continue to improve on the design and make modifications, but for now it is working great.
Thanks for checking it out.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!