Our coop has been a while in the making. A lot of talking, dreaming, and planning. My wife thought I was crazy (still does) but she is starting to like the girls. Little C, she LOVES them!
Our coop is 4x8 with a 16x8 fully enclosed run. I did not have a set "plan" drawn out. Most of my plan was in my head from looking at numerous BYC coops. I am hoping this thread will be as helpful as the ones I looked at.
In the process, I have learned a lot. My carpentry skills are limited at best. Next time, I am going to run the 4x4s for the coop legs all the way up.
Framing out the coop, and run.
I wanted to make a pallet floor, which i did, but I think it would have been easier and faster to run the 4x4s all the way up, and frame from there. That is Hallie, our Snouzer Yorkie mix...yeah, the Yorkie only gave her the bark!
Added the linoleum to the floor. This has been nice for cleaning. I haven't had to do a full cleaning yet, but I think it will help. Lesson learned, roll it out for a day or so before stapling it down. I had it outside in the roll for a few days, but forgot this step.
Framing in the coop. This is from the end of the run looking back.
My granddad getting ready to cut the panels to go around the coop and run to prevent digging. We have two dogs (that would be fine), but Granddaddy has a Beagle who would love to get after some chickens. We also have a pair of foxes who have grown up and raised babies on our farm.
We used hog panels that were left over from our Pure Bred Yorkshire days. They are 17-18" wide and generally split the difference inside the run and outside.
Rafters and back door and back wall to run on. Lesson learned, and next change...I am going to change the back door from lifting up, to two doors that open from the middle and swing out. This door is great, just way too much for anyone other than me to open. My wife would never get it open.
This picture gives a good view of how not leaving the 4x4s whole messed us up. I had to use the metal connector plates and connect the 4x4 pieces. It actually turned out plenty strong enough, just cost us a good bit of time. We had to make a Lowe's trip, and the closest one is over an hour away.
Roof is on! We used tin for the roof. Not an easy job, but it makes it look pretty good.
The sides are up. You can see the cut outs for the nesting boxes. I was originally going to put them in the back and have both sides open up. Granddaddy talked me out of it. I believe it is just personal preference for access.
The cool part, to me, about this coop is the wood. Everything other than the 4x4s is from rough cut timber from my other grandparents land. My mama's daddy wanted to build a barn out of it before he passed. It was really neat to build this coop from that wood. I really think he would like it.
Other than the nesting boxes, the coop is done. The door swings up to open up to the run. I put a cleat on the side to tie the rope off.
Nesting boxes on, and ground boards in place. That is Hunter in the bottom corner. He is our 8 year old Jack Russell
I came back and lined the nesting boxes with the linoleum. They are somewhere around 13"-14" high, wide, and deep.
The run is done, door is on, and everything is secured.
The top of the run. We used our extra sheet of tin up close to the coop to help aid in shade. I completely secured the run due to our neighborhood hawks. We have two that stay between the woods to the west of the coop and the branch to the east of the coop. He flies by daily.
The end of the run.
Setting up the roost. I placed a rough cut lip on the nesting boxes, to help hold the bedding inside.
The ramp, that is hardly ever used. They may stand on it and look around. To get in, they most times just jump.
Bedding is in and ready for the girls. At this point, I was looking all over for the birds I wanted to add. I eventually want a mix of Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, then maybe some Easter Eggers and others. Right now, we took in four Cream Legbars from a friend. His neighbors were complaining, and he had to get rid of them. We may eventually work towards breeding them and have our list of favorites in this coop. I am already planning coop number two for breeding!
Little C checking out her "Chichins". Every night she has to go out with me to tell them "night night", then before we leave in the morning we have to let them out. The pool in the edge, is going to eventually become a dust pool
One of the girls.
Two of them checking out the new house.
Little C checking them out. This was the day after we got them. We got home from town, and she took off out there after getting out of the truck.
Coop Update (10/19/15)
We are still waiting on our first egg. They had them some watermelon yesterday, and loved it. I have added an old above ground pool latter to the run for outside roosting and playing. The girls seem to love it!
Yesterday the weather in South Ga was wonderful. While outside, Little C said she needed to take the "Chichens" some toys!