Our New Chicken Coop
In 2011, I built our first chicken coop, converting the kid's tree fort. I learned a lot in the process of creating this first coop. I also realized what I would do differently the next time. Here's a picture of the first (and current) Coop.
Well....the time has come to build a new coop. The old one has to GO! It is sitting right where the new driveway is going for the new house. I started the new coop design by searching Medium-sized coops on BYC. I found a few that I really liked:
One kind BYC member even sent me his Sketchup plans. I was inspired so I drew up my own framing plans using Google Sketchup 8. Here's the general idea:
Coop 2.0 - The Construction Blog
In November 2012, I began construction of the new coop. I decided on a 10' x 5' footprint. I began with excavation. I was building on a slight slope, so I needed to do a bit of digging to level the site. Next, I built forms for 6" wide footings. The footings are about 10" deep. They required about 24 bags of concrete (80 lb bags). I rented a cement mixer for a weekend to help with this monumental task.
Here are the footings a week later, with the some of the plate installed.
Next, I stained the lumber with solid color stain. I decided to stain BEFORE building to better protect the lumber in our wet northwest weather. The first wall goes up...
I built both the front and back walls in the garage before setting them up. The rain is relentless here in late November so it is easier to build in the dry garage. Here is the coop with both front and back walls and one side wall installed.
I also placed a 14' sill on the top of the walls to hold the roofing joists. I'm eager to get the roof on so I can work out of the rain.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!