My coop took about 3 weeks. I designed and built it myself (37yo woman) with no help at all. Literally none. And it's the prettiest coop I've ever seen!
Built/planned for 4 hens. It's 4' x 12'. Coop is 4x4 and raised 24" above ground. 6' tall.
Total cost - approx $800
Screening - bottom 2' is hardware cloth, top 4' is welded wire fencing
Bottom run framing - treated 2x4
Run framing (including roof) - 2x3 and 2x4 for the corners and top framing
Coop floor - 3/8 plywood covered in linoleum tiles
Coop framing - 2x3
Coop walls - underlayment
Roof - 6x2 corrugated aluminum
Coop base and roof risers - 4x4
Exterior trim - 1x3 trim boards
Window - 18x24 plexiglass
Roost bar - 2x2
Other random things: hinges (door and nest box door), latches, screen door turnbuckle, door handles, paint.
- Nest box door purchased at Habitat ReStore - $3
- Screen door - $30 @ Lowes
- Coop access door - cut 3'x3' hole in wall material and framed with 1x2s
- Two boxes of 2 3/8 deck screws
- Ramp - scrap wood
- Run floor and coop bedding was all-purpose construction sand poured directly over grass - I have since changed to pine bark in the run and fine pine shavings in the coop
- Nest box is a lidded plastic storage box with front entry - none of my chickens use it! They lay in the corner (whatever!)
- PVC Gravity feeder attached to back coop wall to be filled from outside.
- Cat litter bucket, clear hose connected to PVC nipple waterer at rear of coop.