Dark Dozens - The Coop
Building the coop:
The coop is 5 by 6 feet. The run is 5 by 16 feet. It was built to house 8 Buff Orpingtons.
The design was inspired by a coop I saw outside the local farming supply store, pictures I found on backyardchickens.com, and a shed that I built in 2009.
I used pressure treated lumber for framing the floor and for framing the run.
Everything else is framed with standard 2 x 4's
The siding is T1-11.
The floor and roof are exterior grade plywood.
Asphalt shingles and drip edge were used for the roof.
It is insulated with fiberglass insulation.
Vinyl coated fencing was used to cover the window and the vent.
Poultry fencing was used to enclose the run.
Corrugated pvc panels were used for roof of the run.
The coop was built with wheels, but to move the coop would be very difficult.
Things that I added after I thought I was done:
A small vent above the door.
A rain gutter.
Galvanized 2" x 4" fencing over the original poultry fencing.
I replaced the pop door with one that could be operated from the outside.
Things I would do differently:
I wouldn't position the large vent so close to the roosts.
I would position the coop so that the window faces south.
Framed the floor with 2 x 4's and 4 x 6's.
Attached casters to 4 x 6's and added plywood floor.
Framed the walls with 2 x 4's.
Framed roof with 2 x 4's.
Attached plywood roof.
Attached drip edge and shingles to roof.
Tacked on T1-11 siding to walls.
Cut out openings for doors and window.
Removed T1-11 for painting.
Installed double hung window. Added door to nests.
Attached door to the vent.
One of the girls checking out the new coop.
Still need to add the run before everyone can move in.
Chickens are finally in their new coop.
Framed run with 2 x 4's.
Used corrugated pvc panels for roof of the run.
Used poultry fencing for containment.
Added an extra layer of galvanized 2" x 4" fencing
to keep out predators.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 4
Page 1 of 4