In early Spring 2014, we began with 6 pullets and the need of someplace to keep them safe.
So this is what I built over the course of 6 weeks in the garage. It has served us well over the last year and a half, but we did lose 3 hens (from free ranging) to a stray dog. :-(
Fast forward to early Spring 2015, a routine trip to our local Tractor Supply for feed, ended with the acquiring of 6 new pullets to add to our flock. With talk of getting about 12 more in the future, we now have a need for something a little bigger. But it's not really in the budget. So what's the next best thing........
Pallets! And plenty of them. I started out getting concrete block and arranging them so that each block supports 2-4 corners of the pallets and leveling them.
Of course, pallets aren't always perfect, so you do the best you can with what you have.
Here, I finally got to where I was able to put on a somewhat solid floor out of t/g TruFloor. Very reasonably priced and a great choice for a subfloor.
Here, I stacked pallets and used deck screws to secure everything together, overlapping the corners for structural integrity.
Now, it was time for the roof. At this point, I had decided that I wanted to make the coop look rustic, but couldn't find any good used tin.
So, I went with unpainted metal roofing. It sort of gives it that old style look.
Going with the "old" look, I ran across this old door from the '60's that I thought would fit perfectly in this project.
I still have to add about 4 windows (single sash) and siding, which will be pallet boards run horizontal in a lap siding style. More to come....I'll update as progress takes place. Hopefully, this doesn't take the rest of the year.