Ill make the story short, the coop I originally purchased was only designed for 3 birds max and after getting my first 3 birds I wanted more... SO I started drawing up designs and gathering materials. I had already sunk almost $200 into the first coop (mostly pre-built & purchased online) I decided that I would build the new one for as cheap as possible.
I obtained my wood on craigslist, paint from garage sales and family, and only had to buy a few supplies from the local hardware store (windows, roofing, hinges, and locks).
The wood and paint I found was free so that was a great start! I grabbed a few of the paint cans, good thing too, the first color of choice was not mixable and halfway solid. Ended up with a bright blue interior, guess it will simulate the sky though, lol.
Below are some pics. I will probably make a plans available for anyone that likes the design. I am placing it against a fence inside a 25x6 foot chicken run
I haven't finished it yet, but should in the next couple day's. Finished pics will be posted as soon as they are available.
Almost finished it yesterday. Got all the major painting done. It rained halfway through doing the white and blew over my cover so it caused bleeding. I'll have to go back and touch up the trim tomorrow or when I get it put in the run.
I haven't attached to main door yet but did add the egg box doors. I bought a latch to attach the two doors also but haven't decided if I actually want to put it on. I also haven't attached either roof so I can remove them to make moving into the coop easier, they add a lot of weight. Also the ramp is underneath, haven't added the steps to it or attached it. I'll do that when I put it in the run too.
You can see my original coop with part of the run in the background of a few of the pics
All done! Got it put in place yesterday. Leveled some bricks to set it on.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!