Girlie Coop

  1. jeridge
    [​IMG]Well, here it is. My first building project EVER. She may not be the straightest coop ever, but I guarantee you she's sturdy.

    The floor and walls are pallets. Originally, the intent was to build the coop off of the ground, but the pallets were too heavy, so I improvised. I've spent a small fortune on wire, but it's just too important to not do properly. Any place in the coop with wire has wire on both sides. The window in front has a plexi-glass cover for inclement weather; otherwise, it will be open. Ventilation is across the top both front and back. The last picture shows a wired window with its cover down. It will be open in nice weather, too. I opted for 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth in the coop. I even have some wire between the pallet and wood on two walls. I did opt to insulate the roof, and it has already made a difference. I've also used spray foam insulation all over for cracks (in places where chickens cannot reach).

    I found vinyl flooring scrap at the local habitat for humanity store, and have put it in without being secured to the floor. I want to be able to remove the floor and wash it off when needed. I plan on using the deep-litter method with DE, so I hope to only have to clean it out every few months.

    Inside has two roosts, and the nesting box is outside. The inside looks like a log cabin. I couldn't afford vinyl siding, so I used fencing. The paint is specifically for barns and fences, and the front has overhang to hopefully keep the rain out of the ventilation across the top.

    The run is the next part. It will be 14x20. The coop is just shy of 32 sq. ft., so I'm debating whether to go with six or eight chickens (either Plymouth Rock or Astralorp, I think). I'm using 7' metal U posts, rabbit wire (graduated holes from very small to larger) for the first 28" of wire and 1" hex chicken wire on the upper sides/top of the run. I figure a raccoon probably can't get his hand on a chicken when he has to be more than 28" off of the ground.

    It's rustic but I'm proud of her. The only tools I had were a drill and a $12 hand saw (I'm afraid of power tools). It ended up costing more than I thought (approx. $700 for coop/run), but screws and wire ate up a good bit of the budget. I opted to use deck screws of various lengths; I simply cannot replace anything for quite a while.

    It will be spring before I get the chicks. The coop is dry as a bone in rain; I hope it holds up well if we get snow.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. jeridge
    thank you
  2. walady944
    wow! great job; I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by