I started with two coops, but I wanted something bigger to add to my flock and better utilize the space in the larger of the two coops. My original girls sleep on a roosting pole outside of the inner coop of the large coop, and my smaller coop was not being used at all. I want my new girls to sleep inside of the larger coop. So I had to make more room, not only for the original clutch but for the new clutch to be safe until they grow large enough to be integrated into the original clutch. I started with the run to connect the two coops, this gives them not only a safe passage way to the smaller coop, but an area free of the barriers of plastic that keeps them our of the winter wind.
The frame was not hard to build, but it has some wicked angles that were a bit challenging for a novice builder.
I put the door in the back, it was the tallest part of the run and it gives me easier access for cleaning and general maintenance.
Once that was framed up I thought ..... what about a nice sun room without a roof? So I framed up a small area off of the right side of the smaller coop.
Again I added a door for easy access.
Then I painted it white so that the trim would match my two original coops.
I added the chicken wire and a branch and it turned out very nice. The girls love it. This is where I give them Scratch and treats, and they know it too! They come running when I walk that way.
Next I added plywood to the top of the run, This was very hard. I am a little woman and lifting it was the worst part! But I was proud that I got the cuts right.....even around the tree! After I added the plywood, I painted the top and added decorative strips to match the two original coops.
And finally the finished product! I love the way that it looks and it gives the ladies so much more room.
At night it looks great too, just after the sun goes down, the ladies are lulled to sleep with soft lights!