OK, so 12 years ago I built myself a greenhouse, thinking that I was going to grow things all year round. Well, after several years, and less than stellar results, the "Adventure in Horticulture" turned into a great place to store the tools and lawnmower.
Here's what the original greenhouse looked like:
The first step in the conversion process was to clear out all of the plant shelves, tools, and everything else that had accumulated over the years. Then, the building was divided in half, with the coop side walls covered with plywood and the floor covered with a critter proof mesh. This is how it looks:
Here are a few more views of the coop side:
Next, the construction of the run became a challenge due to the multiple slopes of the surrounding land. For construction I employed 2"x2" lumber, landscape timbers, and the same 2"x4" metal fencing as used inside the coop. 3/4 of the run, as well as the roof over the coop was covered with standard metal roofing. Here's how the transformation turned out:
The coop and run were such a success with our two blue/black Orpingtons, that we decided to give them two new roommates. a Rhode Island Red and a Wyandotte.
We, and the girls, have been very happy with the transformation.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!