Hentucky Coop

By MarTeeBoys · Jun 13, 2015 · Updated Jul 5, 2015 ·
Rating:
3.66667/5,
  1. MarTeeBoys
    First, I would like to give my thanks to John and Donna (Wichita Cabin Coop) for providing me with a copy of the plans for the coop they built. If you have any questions, or want the plans, please visit their coop page https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop

    Also, please pay attention to all the suggestions and lessons learned on their page. They offer some real good advice.

    Now to my version of the Wichita Cabin Coop, which I've named Hentucky (since we have four hens, well four female chicks and we live in Kentucky).

    June 13, 2015

    This is the work I've completed up until now, June 13, 2015. Again, the plans were based on the Wichita Cabin Coop. My overall coop size is 14' long x 5' wide, and 8' tall in the front and 7' tall in the back. The hen house (which I'm currently working on and have started framing) is 5' x 5' and is 2' off of the ground, which leaves room underneath for the girls to have access to. The main run is 9' long by 5' wide, so with the run underneath, they have 14' x 5'.

    I used 4x4 posts for the corners and for the post where the screen door will be installed. The 10' posts are buried 2' in the ground. I then placed concrete pavers between the posts. I placed standard chicken wire on the bottom of the run which has been covered over with dirt (under the hen house) and will be covered with sand in the main run area.

    [​IMG]

    1/2" hardware cloth for the run.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Dirt underneath the hen house floor. The main run will be filled with sand. That way, the girls will have a little variety. Vinyl flooring for the floor of the hen house (hopefully will make it easier to clean). I opted to use shingles instead of metal roofing.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Painted the coop to match the colors of my garage.


    [​IMG]

    A better look at the vinyl flooring. You can also see the concrete pavers under the frame.

    [​IMG]

    Our girls in their brooder. We bought a wire dog kennel off of a friend for $25. I added wood around the sides and back and put up plexiglass in the front (so the girls could look out and see us). That keeps the warm air in as well as keeps all the pine shavings inside. I added a roosting pole in the back. The girls are two weeks old now. We have two Rhode Island Reds (Ginger and Tic-Tac), and two Speckled Sussex (Kiwi and Watermelon). I built a stand for my heat lamp out of PVC pipe. I used two different diameter PVC pipes. The smaller PVC pipe slides into the larger one and I drilled small holes in the smaller pipe. This way, I can raise and lower the heat lamp to adjust the temp.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I will update more as I get more done!


    July 5th, 2015
    Finally was able to work on the coop a bit. Thanks to work and our wonderful Kentucky weather (nice and sunny while at work, rains the moment I get home), I've not been able to work on the coop much. I have about three weeks until the girls are ready to go outside.

    [​IMG]

    Tic Tac on a climbing adventure.

    [​IMG]
    Started framing in the walls

    [​IMG]
    Nesting boxes put in place

    [​IMG]
    Siding going on

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Front door built and siding put on nexting boxes

    [​IMG]
    Screen door (with hardware cloth) put up and secured with three latches.

    [​IMG]

    Ginger taking a break!

    Hopefully will get to get more work done tomorrow.

    Share This Article

Recent User Reviews

  1. Anonymous
    "Great build, very solid and thoughtful"
    4/5, 4 out of 5, reviewed Jul 16, 2018
    This is a great chicken coop build, thoughtfully secured against predators! I hope someday the author will finish the article with their finished coop. :)

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: