It all started with these two ladies.... Dumb-dumb the Polish and Hershey the Sizzle. They were rescued but needed a better home than what they came with.
They ended up with this little number and the ability to free range. We wanted something that was functional and good looking. Our property is fenced but there is no privacy. We did not want any complaints from the neighbors.
This is was the start of a lot of hard work. We choose the Wichita Cabin design. The run is 10 ft x 5 ft and the coop is 4ft x 5 ft.
Starting to put in the hardware cloth.
Used T&G for the sides of the coop. This is the back.
I am very proud of the door I built by myself.
Ended up using sand in the run. So far I do not have any complaints.
The feeder hangs from a stud under the coop.
Nesting boxes on the bottom left. The roosting bars were changed out to 2x3 and spaced further apart. Our rescue chickens were missing toes and had a hard time gripping the curtain rod.
Nesting boxes mount out. Both doors swing out. If I could redo the nesting boxes I would make them larger. My orpingtons look squished when they are laying.
Dumb-dumb's first time in the coop. It was her way of saying thank you.
We added bars for them to roost on in the run.
There are a few more things that need to be completed. It is missing some trim and there are a few spots that still need paint. We have melamine on the coop floor that bubbled. When there is time we will take it out and put a laminate floor in. I'm on the short side.. so I wish I would have put a second clean out door. Its a long reach to get a good clean on the coop. I have 4x1 board holding the straw in the coop back but that needs to be upped to a 8x1. Straw/bedding flies out the coop door every time I open it. We love it and the girls of too.
Thank you~ Hildy