Hi I'm new here. Just joined 15 minutes ago. I have a question. I had a flock of chickens before. Well a flock of 3. The authorities came by once and told me I needed to get rid of my ladies. I went on line to see if it was a city code. Couldn't find anything and I know other people in my city have chickens. I am thinking of starting over. We just hatched some new chicks at school. I'm a second grade teacher. I live in La Mirada California. I was wondering how I find out if it is legal to have backyard chickens in my city. I still have my coop. A bunny is living in it right now. But I am thinking of taking 4 of the chicks my class hatched home. I want to make sure that it will be ok and I won't have any problems. How or where do I find out if I can have hens in my backyard? Thanks for the advice.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes my first chicken we got was about 6 years ago. What a difference in the taste of eggs. WOW.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I plan to have 4
(3) What breeds do you have? 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Barred, 1 New Hamshire Red, 1 Black Sex Linked (?)
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Stumbled across it accidently
(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Raising various animals, gardening, sharing how to make pysansky with my students
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a single mom (widow) who is raising 3 boys, (2 a home) 24, 22 and 18. I currently have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 3 ferrets, 1 blue and gold macaw, 1 unbrella cockatoo, 1 severe macaw, 1 sun conure, an aviary full of parakeets, 3 parrolets, 3 finches, 2 polish piegons and hopefully 4 new baby chicks soon. Yeah I know a little crazy I been teacihng for 19 years (second career) and spend a lot of time out in my side garden during spring and summer with my birds.