My children's kindergarten teacher wanted a chicken coop like the Wichita Cabin Coop, but bigger. I, with some help from other parents, built her one.
As part of building the coop, I made a fairly complete sketchup model.
These pictures are after construction is complete, but before the staining was finished, and before the arrival of the chickens.
To cover the roof of the nesting box, I used rubber roof flashing left over from work done on the roof of the school. It is really similar to rubber pond liner. I glued it down using rubber cement after installing the hinges.
I built the windows from scratch and screwed the plexiglass into place.
This is the inside view of the nesting boxes; the board in front holds the nesting material in place and can be taken out for cleaning.
I bought round closet rod for the roosting bars and built the brackets. Then it occurred to me that the chickens would probably prefer that their roosting bar not turn.
The nail in the bottom of the trough is to keep the roosting bar from turning. There is a matching hole in the end of the rod.
Please contact me if you have any questions. I am happy to help.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 2
Page 1 of 2