I settled in a tiny farm where there is much to do yet. However I was wanting chicks and decided making a coop was the first thing I should do... but having no spare money to put into the project, I had to manage with whatever materiels I could salvage.
This is what I had:
I decided to tear down part of the walls and re-use the wood for the coop itself.
It turned out the wood was oak which is nice but really hard wood to saw! Slowly but steadily I cut down and built the coop inside the right hand side corner of what was to become the run.
I used a pallet for the floor both of the coop and the nesting boxes. Then I built the walls with a pop-door.
I put in a roosting pole and made an opening so I could reach the eggs from the outside. The human's door gives access for cleaning and there's a poop board under the roosting pole.
Finally I put up the hardware cloth and a second door that I found lying around in the stables to get in and clean the run. The only things I bought were the screws, two locks and the hardware cloth (terribly expensive!) Total: 32 euros wich is roughly 42$.
I still want to change the roof to make it a little less shabby but that will just have to wait a while.
The girls moved in yesterday and look content, though a little surprised.
By the way if anyone could tell me what this chick is, they're called Kékette around here but that just means little hen.