Long island coop

By tonyjr67, Jul 23, 2012 | Updated: Feb 11, 2013 | |
  1. tonyjr67
    'Long island coop
    This all started when my daughter was at friends house who had chickens. I always wanted them so now that she wanted them it was good to go. We started the coop over the winter in the basement. All wood was pre painted inside as it was February in NY. I combed this site for a good month before settling on a design. I really relied on The Palace and the Wichita Coop pictures.I sketched plans but wound up really going day to day.After I put in the wood braces for the footing I realized I didnt take into acct for the framing measurement, so it was a couple of inches shorter.
    I started with foundation in April when it was warm enough and worked after work and weekends.Everything is screwed together which was a pain but if I ever have to move it it should come right apart.I also HIGHLY recommend an automatic staple gun, this was the best purchase I made. I think total cost of materials was about $750. I had plywood and T11 already.
    It was a real enjoyable project and I can't believe it came out pretty good. We had sanded and painted all the wood before which helped in the finish but at times slowed me down when I had to stop and paint.

    [​IMG]
    This is the finished product. I used Peat Moss and dirt on the bottom which I am going to switch over to sand. I should have done it from the beginning I had a couple of bags of peat moss around. It is just too dusty although the chickens love it.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I would do the following differently

    I would put the door for egg boxes on the side instead of opening top so the kids can get in there. Also makes it easier to water proof
    Use sand as base in the run. I will be switching over once the weather cools
    Try and recycle more wood to cut costs

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by