I actually built this a year ago, and made a few changes here and there.
The coop itself is 8' x 12' and the run is 12' x12'. It has a vinyl floor inside covered with 6 to 8 inches of wood chips floor inside
I got the post and and the band boards up, squared and level. post are set in concrete
Floor joist on 16" centers
3/4 floor with vinyl ready to go on. The walls will sit on the vinyl
Sheeting is all on
I built the nesting box on a cold snowy day in the garage.
And mounted it on a better day.
Siding is almost done
Working on the run now, I got the post set and I dug a trench all the way around and filled it with big rocks, concrete and bricks.
Then I put down some 1" clean gravel. The run is covered with chicken wire and then 2'X4" fence wire.
They even have access to under the coop.
As you can see, I got the nesting box on the front, under the lean too so I got a dry place to collect eggs without having to go inside, but that isn't the case, Some of them lay under the poop table.
This one was taken shortly after completing it, or so I thought. I made few changes after this.
The right side.
You can see my bucket feeder (on top) and water bucket on bottom. More on that later
I built the nesting box in the garage on a cold snowy day.
Here is the inside, right side. You can see the feeder and the water pipes.
Those were some of the better pictures during the build and this its present state.
I changed the feeder a little bit. I shortened the pipe and added a bigger pan on bottom. also took out the water pipes because thy froze.
This is the left side of the coop. I had to move the roosting bar a few times to get it right for the birds. ( I never did get any money from the fines)
The right side
Under the roosting table I have ad door for the chickens to go out to the run. I have a rope attached to it so I can open and close it by the front door.
The rope, and a vent, currently closed for the winter.
I was bored one day and covered the run with plastic to keep the winter elements out. And you can also see i added a roof and a door for them to get out into the yard.
The coop is wrapped with chicken wire and 2 inch by 4 inch. There is also a bar for them to fly onto.
Current water system is a tub with a cover over with an aquarium freezer to prevent freezing. The bucket was the water-er but the chicken nipples froze.
There's a rope attached to the latch Going inside just in-case I get locked inside.
The metal roof That I added last summer.
I will show construction of the feeder another day.
Today is another day...
I like this feeder Because it will hold a full 40LB bag of feed easily when empty. and will last my 15 chickens 20 days easily.
I used 4" PVC pipe. The first elbow elbow is a 45 degree with a male end and a female end. the second one has 2 female ends. No need to glue anything together. Its actually better not to because you will be modifying it over time. A couple of screws hold everything together just fine.
First I marked and cut a hole in the bottom of a bucket with the male end.
Then I drilled holes in the male end for some cotter pins to hold it in the bucket. But you could use what ever
A view inside the bucket
I put it together in the garage but I wound up switching the pipes around and cutting to the right length during installation.
If you don't have a miter saw, slide one of the female ends over a piece of the pipe And cut a 45 degree angle. You will need this for a pattern to cut a hole in the wall.
I dont have any pictures of the hole cutting process. but you have to go inside and hold the pipe up to find the right height that works,and then use your pattern to cut the hole. You will need a jig saw to do this.
This was my first version I was feeding granular s at the time so I just drilled some half inch holes in it. But that wound up not being big enough so I wallowed the out a little bit.
The food pan on bottom was a Heavy plastic plate that I had. It was held on with a wood block inside screwed to the plate and pipe.
As the chickens got older I switched to pellets and changed the food outlet and the pan to the bottom 2" of a 5 gallon bucket. With a new section of pipe I cut 3 half circle in the one end then screwed 3 wood blocks between the holes, then screwed the bottom 2" of a 5 gallon bucket to it.
On the outside I have the bucket on a little platform. I w
I dont have any other photos at the outside at the moment. But I will get some and post them yet another day. I am out of time for now.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!