I have to caveat this post by saying that this is our first coop, first flock, and first construction project, so if you're thinking of taking inspiration from this design just know that there is surely some wonky building practices going on in it. That being said, it seems to be standing fairly straight in the backyard right now, the birds seem to dig it, and it was a lot of fun to put together.
Here was our basic plan. We modeled it off of Monk's Coop, which we found on this site - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/monks-chicken-coop
Here's Jen and Cooper laying out the front wall. We built all the walls, the subfloor and the roof inside separately and then assembled them in the yard around the 4 4x4 posts.
We live in the mountains where the snow is deep and the winters are crazy cold, so we gave the coop a steep pitched roof and tried to insulate it well. We also have loads of predators, so we took a 2ft trencher to the perimeters of the entire coop and run in order to bury the fencing as deep as possible.
We added a door in the back to make clean up easier.
We added a drop down window to the front door to get a cross breeze blowing through the coop on nice days. For some reason, this is my favorite part of the coop design.
... and this is the final coop. It took a pretty solid two months, around 25 trips to Home Depot, countless obscenities, and wore out 5 of the 10 fingers of my gloves, but it was a lot of fun and super rewarding.
and, as I said, the chickens dig it.
7 months later, here are a few of the hens and the one unexpected rooster...
... a few of our first eggs...
... and our carton packaging that I nerded out over.