My year long Semi-Green Chicken Coop

By tpayne156, Jun 1, 2014 | Updated: Jun 15, 2014 | | |
  1. tpayne156
    67.jpg
    [​IMG]

    Well this is the start of the year long project. Yes it was a year. With so many other thing happening, it is just how things like this worked out. So we brought these pallets. We bought 22 of them and we paid $2.25 a piece for them. They are 7'4" x 4'6". We used my shop's interior to set up the walls to figure out how they where going to be connected.

    [​IMG]

    We did break down and bought the decking and sub flooring new. We do have so many
    wood eating friends here in Alabama.

    [​IMG]

    Framing was the easy part here. Having it all labeled from the shop made the construction time fast. The roof trusses are also made from new material. This took us just a few hours to put up due to the pre-assembly done in the shop.

    [​IMG]

    The roof decking was completed with the pallets we took apart. My wife loved the look so I am not
    going to be hiding it.

    [​IMG]

    Ok, so there is a story about the windows and the chicken door. My wife being who she is, was able to
    get the windows, glass, and chicken / doggie door from a man going to the dump with these items.
    Rescued from the back of a truck, on the way to the dump, they are now part of our coop.
    All the trim you see here is also from pallets. $$$ savings for sure.

    [​IMG]

    Here you can see the siding going on. This is another recycled item. This is old pressure treated fencing we found
    on the side of the road. We chopped off the rotted parts and used it as lap siding. This was fun to put up.

    [​IMG]

    Here it is completed, and pressured washed. Everyone wanted us to leave it like this. But over time
    it will fade back to grey. Remember that is was discarded for a reason. So you will see we did paint it.

    [​IMG]

    All the fencing and posts you see here, are a find my wife found. Some needed to be repaired but
    we both are now chain link fence repair experts. The posts are also reclaimed from a neighbor
    redoing their fence.

    [​IMG]

    We have the roof on the run almost completed here. 1/2 " PVC piping and we added field wire fence to
    the top to secure it further. ALMOST DONE

    [​IMG]

    Inside completed. Yes that is paneling. I got that from a guy at the local Quikey Mart. It was on the way
    to the dump. The nesting boxes are made from pallets and some boxes used for display from the grocery store.
    Another wife recycle thing. Yeah.

    [​IMG]

    Here it is finally almost completed. I think it will never be really be done.
    There is always something else to add.
    It has been a year. Our 18 Australops love there new coop, as we do to.
    We will be adding a new watering system, and automatic chicken feeders also.
    I will post them as we complete those projects.

    [​IMG]

    Here is another view. Just completed the electrical for the inside and outside.
    Nice to have the security light now.
    Our son likes to put then to bed at night, and the light makes it easier for him.
    The addition of power is very welcomed addition, as our workshop is about 80 feet away.
    No more dragging power cords around.

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. bruce89123
    This is what building chicken coops is to me. Use reclaimed materials along with some creativity and see what you can come up with. It looks great. Good job!!!
  2. celticgarden
  3. chickenteri
    Reuse, recycle, repurpose yay! Great coop!
  4. EastTXChickens
    It looks like it was worth the wait. Great ingenuity from you two. I hope you post about the good & water system.
  5. Mountain Peeps
    Wow! That's awesome!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by