So this is our coop we built out of wood we managed to find around the area.... we only bought four hinges, and some tar paper and shingles so far. (we have not done the run yet).
so this is our story... it has taken only two days of solid work 0900-2000 the first day and 0800-1700 the second day... hope you enjoy or get some ideas. i know i gathered all my knowledge by looking threw these coop builds by other members of this wonderful site!
DAY 1...... 1st Sunday
This is what we started with.... we did not want to use our shed as our house is small and need all the storage we can get so the coop spot was going to be behind the shed.
The pile of wood we had to work with, plus some 2x4 that I had laying around. PS when i say we it was me and my father doing the work with some help from the wife and my new son who just turned 1.
Getting the base down first, we had some old pallets and shipping crates we found so we used it for the base... they did not all match up but we pieced it all together somehow.
flooring down, we put some left over insulation I had laying around from a project under the coop so they stay nice and warm.
walls started to go up that we made out of the shipping crates we found. Starting to look like a actual structure now!
Linoleum going down (i forgot to put that in the stuff we bought at the top)...
Roof starting to go up! The wife and son came out to check out the progress.
And the roof is done, all shingled and ready to keep these chickens dry..
so this was one of the longest days i have worked in a while, so after the shingling (that almost killed us) was done we called it a night. after all we had to go to work the next day!
So this next part is not the coop but during the week we had a delivery from the post office... our chicks arrived!
2- Barred Rock
So this was the next weekend and let the fun begin!
So while my wife was driving to work she saw a old wooden ladder she wanted to re due, so her and my father went over there to pick it up on the side of the road. while they were loading it some creepy guy came out and asked if they wanted this storm door as well... so we scored this awesome door that had a screen in it that folds up and also glass that folds up and down... we had to trim the bottom of the door to get it to fit but it works like a charm! thanks creepy old guy.
After we got the door hung and working right, we moved on to the nesting boxes. we have 6 chicks so we decided to make three boxes just in case we get more chickens later
And done! ha next onto the window the wife wanted on the other side of the coop!
We put chicken wire in the window and put it on hinges... simple but it works!
Next we made the front door for the chickens... again simple but works...
string lifts it and closes it...
And we are done for the day... put a the left over siding on the nesting boxes... next will be the put wire along the top of the coop plus make a run. we are working on finding things we can use for the run as new wire cost a fortune!!!
anyways more to come i hope you liked seeing the progression i will take more picture of the inside of it and will post pictures of the run going up when we have time...
more to come please check back!!!!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!