Our latest addition to our small 31+ acre hobby farm here in the Ozarks.
The ground breaking. Our 3 sons were a big help digging the holes for the posts. The youngest was probably bringing us lemonade from the house
Basic frame 10'x10'. We sealed the floor to help preserve it.
Added the roof frame 12'x12' with an approximate 1' overhang all the way around.
Metal roof installed and the interior partition wall is in place. We are leaving a 3'x10' entry area for the food storage.
Interior partition wall complete.
We installed 6 nesting boxes that will have outside access for egg collection.
Our 8 year old painting.
Our 11 year old painting.
Our 13 year old painting.
We are ready to install the access door (1"x12"x6' pine board) for the nesting boxes..
The access door to the nesting boxes is installed. We are thinking about placing a "Fresh Eggs" sign above the door once we find the one my wife and I can agree on
Inside view of the nesting boxes.
The roost has a total of 12' of roosting space using 3 each 1" diameter by 4' long dowel rods for a more natural foot grip to provide enough space for those that may be claustrophobic and want to sleep alone
Not shown is the hanging waterer and directly to the right is a homemade pvc feeder that can be filled without entering the coop.
The coop is almost done and now we need to start working on the attached 20'x20' chicken run.
My mom and sister came to visit so they jumped in and lent a helping hand as well.
Look at daddy's little helpers!
They are so proud of our accomplishment.
Time to cut the tops of all the posts and install the center post, framework, and wire over the top of the run.
The girls and Slick (our Brown Leghorn Rooster) have almost 600 square feet. A 500 sq ft run counting the 100 sq ft that is under the 10'x10' coop. 1"x4" trim boards around the doors, windows, corner, and top. We left a 1 1/2" vent all the way around the top of the coop for ventilation. Placed vinyl down inside the 3'x10' entry way/dry storage area. The windows are 18"x24" heavy plexiglas. We attached a separate latch to the door to keep it open to help prevent the flock from overheating on those hot summer days. The run is 7 feet high and is now fully enclosed. I had 2 extra pressure treated 2x4's left over so I made a "field goal shaped" roost for them to play on out in the run. I recently added a solar powered automatic door and built a small awning above the door to prevent snow and ice build up from preventing it's proper operation.
We bought this kit and made some modifications to it by adding some skids and a pull rope. This is where they spent the first 3 months of their lives and now it sits behind the main coop and will be used as a brooder, we are planning to hatch out and raise some additional chicks to increase our flock this spring.
Slick, the undisputed "Cock of the Walk"
Thanks for viewing our family project!!!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 4
Page 1 of 4