Oakwood Farm Chicken Coop

We got our chickens around Easter - quite unexpectedly - a spur of the moment impulse buy at our local feed store. We already had four horses, a boxer, and a great dane - what were 6 more critters to us? The coop was going to be my "project" - worked on during the weekends , as it turned out, for most of the summer! I have to preface this with the fact that I am a 2nd grade teacher by trade - no building experience at all, so please forgive my errors and unconventional methods. But, all in all, it turned out great - at least the chickens love it! I used the dimensions of 4'x8' - the size plywood sheets come in.
So here are the pictures...


First I chose the site - up against the redwoods - out of the wind in the winter and sun in the summer.



Then I put in the posts and floor - the posts were recycled wood from old horse fencing I had taken down.



I built the frame in my workshop using 2x4's I ripped in half - hoping to make the structure lighter. I built nesting boxes on either side. Still can't decide if I should have divided the boxes into separate nests.



Next, I put the skins on the frame, cutting out the nesting boxes, vents, and windows



I finished the nesting boxes with lids that lift up on hinges, and I used old shutter folding doors for the vents, and pegboard for more ventilation... my first attempt at building trusses!



It began to take shape putting on the plywood for the roof....



Another shot of the pegboard I used for ventilation - it came from the four pieces I used as a temporary cage for the little chicks.



The shingles and details are added...



And a coat of paint to match the barn and other outbuildings.