Oklahoma City Oklahoma Chicken Ordinance

By haleyluna · Jan 11, 2012 · ·
  1. haleyluna
    Oklahoma City Oklahoma Chicken Ordinance

    Are Chickens Allowed in this locationYes
    Max Chickens AllowedNo limit
    Roosters AllowedYes
    Permit RequiredNo
    Coop RestrictionsNo building or enclosure in which animals are quartered shall be located closer than 200 feet to any dwelling, church, school building or place of business on adjacent properties.
    City/Organization Contact name[email protected] City Clerk\'s Office 200 N. Walker 2nd Floor 405 297-2391 Fax: 405 297-3121
    Additional InformationChickens are only allowed within city limits if they are housed on one or more acres. It is illegal to keep any number of chickens in Oklahoma City, even for personal use (pets, eggs, etc), if your lot is less than one acre. In addition, your coop must be 200 feet from any dwelling on an adjacent property. 59-8150. - Agricultural Use Unit Classifications. http://library.municode.com/showDoc...007_CH59ZOPLCO_ARTVIIIUSUNCL_S59-8150AGUSUNCL 8150.5. Animal Raising: Personal. Premises where agricultural animals are fed or kept for personal use and for agriculturally related projects of the owner or occupant of the premises. For this use unit, agricultural animals shall mean livestock and poultry including, but not limited to, the following domesticated animals: cattle, horses, sheep, goats, asses, mules, swine, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and guinea fowl. Domesticated chickens, turkeys, ducks, guinea fowl, and geese are the only birds included in this use unit. This use unit shall be subject to use regulations set forth in Section 59-9350.8 (Animal Raising: Commercial and Animal Raising: Personal). 59-9350. - Standards for specific uses. http://library.municode.com/showDoc...KMUCO2007_CH59ZOPLCO_ARTIXUSST_S59-9350STSPUS Section 59-9350.8. Animal Raising: Commercial (59-8150.3) and Animal Raising: Personal (59-8150.5). C. The site shall be at least at least one acre in size. For purposes of this section, lot and/or parcel size shall be defined to mean net usable area, excluding public and private street rights-of-way. F. No building or enclosure in which animals are quartered shall be located closer than 200 feet to any dwelling, church, school building or place of business on adjacent properties. (An enclosure is any area, corral, open-sided shelter or enclosed shelter, which has artificial flooring or is substantially denuded of permanent vegetation as a result of animal activity, and would include unfenced areas that become areas of animal congregation such that permanent forage is removed.) G. No rooster shall be tethered closer than 400 feet to any dwelling, church, school building or place of business on adjacent properties. H. No enclosure in which roosters are quartered shall be located closer than 400 feet to any dwelling, church, school building or place of business on adjacent properties.
    Link for more Informationhttp://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14500&stateId=36&stateName=Oklahoma
    Information Last Updated2011-03-27 13:04:32

    NOTE: This information was submitted by a member of our chicken forum. Please make sure to double check that this information is accurate before you proceed with raising chickens. You can read more info about checking local laws here..

    Share This Article


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Anemone
    Well, the deadline for submitting signatures was yesterday, that is one week before the meeting at City Hall on the 24th of this month. :( Please feel free to email me though at [email protected]

    Here's what Ken Bryan with the Planning Commission wrote about that meeting:

    "Thursday, 10/24 – Planning Commission meeting, 1:30pm, City Hall, 3rd floor. PC’s public hearing on the ordinance will include staff’s presentation followed by Planning Commission discussion and comments from interested citizens. This would be your opportunity to vocalize your support and raise any additional concerns you might have with the proposed ordinance. You can also email your comments to me. At this meeting, Planning Commission will forward a recommendation to City Council – either to approve or reject the ordinance. (Administrative note: Planning Commission serves as a recommending body for changes to the zoning ordinance – city council has the final say.)"

    and more:

    "City Hall is located at 200 N. Walker – the meeting is in Council Chambers on the 3rd floor. Park anywhere – there’s lots of on-street parking or the Sheridan-Walker parking garage (entrance is on the west side of Walker, half-way between Sheridan and Main)."
  2. okieprime
    You might send me one of the forms. Send it to Larry Davison, 8203 Woodchuck Rd. Yukon, Okla. 73099. My address is Yukon, but I live in the OKC city limits. Also give me your cell phone number in the event I have a question. Thanks, Larry
  3. Anemone
    Okay, so here's my understanding of what the Municode says about chickens. First of all to find out anything about them, you need to search for "Domesticated Fowl." Chickens are defined in that category. (From § 8-5. Definitions: - Domesticated fowl means domesticated chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, peacocks, homing pigeons and any other domesticated birds including ostriches, emus and rheas.)
    Next go here to see the guidelines for the various zoning areas, and specifically note that only areas zoned agricultural include the option of keeping animals for personal use:
    Alternatively, go to the Municode main page and search for "ARTICLE VIII. USE UNIT CLASSIFICATIONS"
    To read more about zoning districts and their intentions go to:
    Also, go to the Municode main page and search for "ARTICLE VI. ZONING BASE DISTRICTS."
    Note in the tables found in the "ARTICLE VI. ZONING BASE DISTRICTS" section that "Animal Raising: Personal" is only permitted in areas zoned "AA." All other areas are marked as "Conditional." The tables instruct the user to, "Reference Section 59-9350 for standards for specific uses identified as (C), (SE), or (SP)." Here is the link that gives these guidelines: http://library.municode.com/HTML/17...KMUCO2010_CH59ZOPLCO_ARTIXUSST_S59-9350STSPUS The link just given provides the "Conditions" for "Animal Raising: Personal" in areas that are not zoned agricultural. This is where you can find the requirement of at least one acre to keep chickens in areas not zoned AA (agricultural). This section does not limit the number of chickens you can have on at least one acre, though that number should be in compliance with the laws about humanity and consideration found in other parts of the Municode.
    The gentleman I talked to at the Planning Department, John Wilson, said that there is an ordinance coming before the council soon that has to do with community gardens and allowing those in residential areas to keep up to 8 chickens. Anyone can sign up to go in and speak before the council and support this issue. Or, if you are a registered voter in Oklahoma City, you can contact me and either sign my petition or I'll send you one of your own to take around to your friends and neighbors. Please do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: