We used his carpentry skills and except for the hardware cloth that we penned it in with and the screws and hinges we used materials that we had laying around, bits and pieces left over from home repair jobs and the like.
If I had to do it all over again, the only things I would change is that I would make the run higher, it is 18 inches and think the chicks would be happier with a little more head space, I would have made the overall design a little narrower as it is difficult for one person to move alone. I would add a door under the 'coop' part of the tractor so that I could hang my feeders and water underneath for protection from the weather. We have changed the wheel design as it just wasn't working quite the way we had envisioned.
This tractor should comfortably hold 6-8 chickens, right now I have 8 6 week old Buff Orpington chicks and 3 EE's, going to be getting rid of some in the next few weeks. This was our first attempt at a chicken tractor and I am very very pleased with the way it turned out. I may still add a window in the side opposite the little access door, but I may wait until I build the next one and add a window to it.. The cheap stick down tile flooring makes cleanup very easy.
Modified wheel design, works very well and a peek at my golden residents!
Thank you for looking at my tractor. Will be glad to answer any questions that you might have about design or my beautiful Buff Orpington babies. It was hot when I took these last pics and they kept hanging out under the coop in the shade, so it was hard to get a pic.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 3
Page 1 of 3