P7

By 3shavers, Jan 11, 2012 | |
  1. 3shavers
    I see you in there.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Now let's do the maths and wrap up:
    We used half a roll of chicken wire, which we had purchased earlier: est $15 worth
    We bought a sheet of nice plywood: $35
    We bought 2 pair hinges, both for the door at the end of the run, and for the roof of the sleeping quarters: $10
    The lumberyard charges $1/cut and they charged us for 4 cuts on the plywood (we got a few free ones): $4
    We made the other cuts with a hand saw, and I do own a jigsaw which we used to cut the curved door into the sleeping quarters. Otherwise we used a cordless drill and a staplegun.
    Loose the birds!
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    This much is safe to say. This chicken coop was as close to free, at least in terms of materials, as we cared to take it. The whole thing took a while longer than I had at first thought. Really, my first thought was, We can build this in a weekend. Not so. The job stretched across a number of weekends.
    In the end we spent less on the coop/run than we did on the chickens themselves, and that's probably not a bad way to measure it for a lower end, functional coop.
    And they lived happily ever after.
    [​IMG]

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by