After barely getting through the winter with a crappy Store Bought Chicken Coop, we decided to build a bigger, better home for the girls. The Wichita Cabin Coop (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop) on this website looked like the perfect coop for us so we went with it! It's still under construction but very excited to get the girls in their new home!!!
We decided to build the coop on our driveway and move it to the final place in the backyard once it's dry enough. We've just had so much rain and I didn't want to wait.
We have a ton of wood bees and decided it would be best to paint it, especially after having to replace our entire deck because of those pesky things. The kids helped quite a bit!
Nesting Boxes, window and the rest of the painting is done! We painted the nesting boxes brown to give them a little more "privacy." I found the windows online for around $30 a piece and thought it'd be worth it instead of trying to build something. We aren't carpenters in this family... at all. The hole for the little chicken door was also cut but it'll be finished once we move the coop. The big door is built but will be attached after the move. The less weight, the better! Getting closer!
Once we got the coop to a certain point, we moved it to its final destination. Most of the copper (color) metal roof is done. We just need to put the sides on. We'll be putting more dirt around the coop and inside to even out the ground. We still have painting to do and a lot of small things but should be done by next weekend, weather permitting!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!