Why am I building this coop?
2/28/2013-Six new pullets were purchased and the prospect of fresh eggs became a reality!
3/15/2013-Bought a small coop as a brooder/isolation coop.
I threw together a quick sketch up plan just to give myself an idea of what I wanted to do....
I needed something mobile, self contained, I could keep level on my decidedly unlevel property, and give the Chickens the best quality of life I could.
Here's the actual file.
(I'm not allowed to make attachments, so I uploaded it to my website.)
Google Sketchup File of Perrydice Coop
Perrydice Coop-Build end of Day One:
3/26/2013-Completed bottom section containing run and upper section floor of coop. Floor space is 8' by 4' (32 sq ft each) for both areas. I covered run floor in 1/2" hardware cloth, and the coop floor with linoleum tile we had from another project.
Perrydice Coop-Build end of Day Two:
3/27/2013-Completed front and back walls and started framing of roof. I also created the clean out/access door. Coop Walls are 4' high in front, and 3' high in the back. Roofing material is an asphalt roofing panel called Ondura.
Perrydice Coop-Build end of Day Three:
3/28/2013-Completed roof and side walls. Added a shed window on one wall that can open for ventilation, and a large fixed Plexiglas window on the other side wall for light. Also built another clean out/access door just because I thought I'd like the access. Added Pop door into floor, and chicken ladder. Roost is a warped 8' 2x3 I didn't want to use for the framing of the coop.
Perrydice Coop-Build end of Day 4 & 5
4/7/2013-Took a few days off for Easter and I had to combine days 4 & 5 because there really wasn't much to see on day 4 except masking for paint. All the paint is done, the bottom of the coop is completely enclosed with 2 access doors in the front held on by wing nuts. I also added 2 of the 4 trailer jacks that will make this coop mobile.
Perrydice Coop-Completion! Day 6
4/8/2013-We rolled the new coop out of the garage this afternoon after finishing the other 2 trailer jacks and installing the food, water and shavings. We also added a heat lamp "just in case".
What I would have done different....
Big, Fat, low air pressure tires to float across the soft ground better....
Total cost is $490.00 in wood, hardware clothe, hinges, barrel locks, trailer jacks, plastic nest box and roofing materials. I had nails, screws, linoleum, Plexiglas, paint and shed window from previous projects. The chickens are now officially in Perrydice!
We are averaging about 4-5 eggs a day from our 6 girls. They started laying at the beginning of July, and haven't stopped since! Here are some updated pictures of the coop. It pulls much easier now with the new tires.
Perrydice Chicken Tractor
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 3
Page 1 of 3