Plumsted Twp, New Egypt, NJ Chicken Ordinance
Plumsted Twp zoning ordinance can be found at: http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx?clientsite=plumsted-nj
The Plumsted Twp zoning map can be found at: http://www.plumsted.org/images/zone.pdf
Your zoning classification specifies what you can keep/do so you need to locate your zone first and then refer to the zoning ordinance.
e.g. I am a Zone R-40 Rural Residential. Therefore
15-4.4 R-40 Residential Zone.
a. Permitted Uses.
2. Detached single family dwellings.
3. Municipal, county, state and federal buildings and grounds including but not limited to schools, parks, playgrounds, libraries,
workshops, warehouses, garages and storage yards.
4. Golf courses.
5. Family day care home.
7. Essential services.
b. Accessory Uses and Buildings.
1. Private garage, tool shed.
2. Professional offices in residence as defined herein.
3. Home occupation as defined herein.
4. Customary farm buildings for the storage of products or equipment or for the processing of farm products which are produced on
the same parcel as the principal use.
5. Roadside stands in connection with a farm operation, for the purpose of display and sale of farm products.
c. Conditional Uses.
2. Churches and other places of worship, subject to the requirements of Section 15-6.
d. Minimum Lot Area and Yard Requirements. As provided in the attached schedule entitled, "Schedule of Area, Yard and Building
e. Off-Street Parking Requirements. As required in Section 15-5.
f. Site Plan Review. Site plan review shall be required in accordance with provisions of Section 15-7.
g. Permitted Signs. As required in Section 15-9.
(Ord. 83A, §4.01; Ord. #87A; Ord. #100A; Ord. #9213; Ord. #9517, §§ 610; Ord. #200211, §4)
So what does that mean, you (and I) say? The first thing I notice is that I am permitted "agricultural" use. Well, exactly what is agricultural use? I then refer to the definitions of my township zoning ordinance and there defined is "agriculture"
58. Agriculture shall mean the production, keeping, or maintenance, for sale, lease or personal use, of plants and animals useful to
man, including but not limited to: forage and sod crops; grains and seed crops; dairy animals and dairy products; poultry and
poultry products; livestock, including beef cattle, sheep, swine, horses, ponies, mules, or goats or any mutations or hybrids thereof,
including the breeding of any and all such animals; bees and apiary products; trees and forest products; fruits of all kinds, including
grapes, nuts, and berries; vegetables; nursery, floral, ornamental, and greenhouse products; or lands devoted to a soil conservation
or forestry management program. Agriculture as defined herein shall also include activities defined as agriculture as set forth in
the General Ordinances of the Township of Plumsted in Chapter 2, entitled "Agriculture and Farming Activities," and Chapter 15,
Section 15-10a,56., entitled "Farming activities."
78. Use, permitted shall mean a use of land, building or structure, or portion thereof, allowed in a zoning district and subject to the restrictions applicable to that district. The term "permitted use" or its equivalent shall not be deemed to include any nonconforming use.
So basically I can do chickens as long as I follow allllll of the other zoning requirements. Therefore I need to review Chapter 2 and 15 Section 15-10a,56 of my zoning ordinance.
I am lucky enough to live in a "PRO-farmland preserve farming town".
Are Chickens Allowed in this location x Max Chickens Allowed Roosters Allowed x Permit Required Coop Restrictions City/Organization Contact name Additional Information www.plumsted.org Link for more Information http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx?clientsite=plumsted-nj and http://www.plumsted.org/images/zone.pdf Information Last Updated
NOTE: This information was submitted by a member of our chicken forum. Please make sure to double check that this information is accurate before you proceed with raising chickens. You can read more info about checking local laws here.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!