It all started when my wife wanted chickens as her birthday present. We had seen them at the local Rural King. I thought she was joking but it turned out that she was not, so in April we finally decided to get them. We got 4 (easter eggers or araucanas based on who you asked and what sign you read) one for each of us to name. We bought a coop kit and the feeder and waterer while we were there.
The chicks lived in a tuperware tote in the spare room until they were big enough to go outside, which gave me time to put together the coop and seal the wood.
We thought they needed more space for the winter so they could have room to move around inside if it was too cold outside or was snowy, so we decided to build a larger coop. We did not really know what we wanted so we spent a lot of time on BYC looking at other designs and found many characteristics that we wanted to incorporate into our new coop. Once we had the basic size determined we started laying out the foundation with pavers and getting them leveled during which we found out the spot we picked was not as level as we thought. We ended up dismantling our vegetable gardens and using the dirt to level the pavers.
I was trying to learn how to use sketchup to draw up the coop before we built it (that is the engineer in me coming out according to my wife) a but it was taking too long to learn the program and get the drawing done so I just did it by hand and we got started putting up the uprights and the roof structure. It was taking too much time and the new coop needed to be done before the snow started, which is where the coop got its name.
Next went the walls, braces and framing for the windows and doors (at least enough to know where they were going to go.
After a bit of head scratching (the design was still sort of a work in progress) we got the roof sheathed with the help of a friend ( I don't like heights).
We had high winds and rain forecasted for the weekend so my wife and I had to get the metal roof on and get the coop anchored since the posts were not set in concrete. A friend suggested mobile home tie downs.
We got it done but I still don't like heights.
At this point in the build the weather quit cooperating and the weekends were rainy and cold so most of the rest of the work had to be done during the week after work, which meant some of it was done in the dark. So a lot got done without pictures because it was too dark. At this point we were running out of time since we had already had two snows, one of which was 10 inches and we were leaving town for Christmas and wanted the girls to be comfortable and for it to be easy for their temporary caretakers to check on them and make sure they had food and non-frozen water every day. We did manage to finish it before we left. 10:45 the night before we left and it warmed up the day we left so I could get pictures.
and the girls are moved in
And they have roomates. My Daughter's show rabbits needed to be sheltered until I can build them a barnish structure.
Here it is in the blizzard of 2014 (at least the start of the blizzard early this morning)
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!