I say inspired because we changed quite a bit on it. We started out with a budget of $250. We did not make it, we came in at around $400. (and we used a lot of lumber etc. we already had here). The only nails we used were on the shingles, everything else was screwed.
This is to house 5 pullets (hopefully) currently in the house that I will probably be putting out on Tuesday. We extended the plans to 4'x 8' to include an attached run which we tried to make as "fortress-like" as possible. We made the nest box 24" instead of 36" and I'm not exactly sure how my husband did the roof framing but it made the venting 2" instead of 1-1/2"
We used treated 2"x 4"s as the base and attached the hardware cloth with fence staples (it's not that crooked I took the shot at a weird angle).
I painted the lumber prior to construction.
Frame started, we constructed it on treated 2'x4's which we then attached to the bottom frame (this made it a lot easier to assemble than if we used 4'x4's)
note, we somehow bought the 92" instead of 8' (I inserted a 1"x 2" to compensate pictured further below)
The platform structure for the hen house.
Getting ready for the hardware cloth, leather gloves, duct tape and aviation snips. The best way I found to deal with it is to gently roll it in the opposite direction and lengthwise as well. Be careful not to bend it too much it will weaken it.
up on 2 sides, we used fender washers (they were about $17.00 for 100).
It also helps a LOT to have 2 people put it up.
we sided the whole back with smart siding that I pre-painted.
more framing, the back 2"x 2" is to add support to the pieced siding in the hen house.
painted the rest of the trim
roof structure up, I painted the inside portion of the plywood
bottom front hardware cloth
hen house side support
hardware cloth on venting
close-up of the back-side of vent
another compensation (backside of the "oops" not quite 8'ers)
inside, assorted washers/screws to anchor the hardware cloth
it's mainly to keep out small rodents. It was a pain to get up but it's nice and tight now
the front compensation
hen house platform in
hardware cloth was all trimmed out with painted 1"x 4"s and I installed tiles on the floor.38 ea. at Lowe's....buy a couple extras if you are going this route
doors and hardware installed
the other side
inside of run
2"x 2"s framing out the door way.
holes cut, we figured out how to get a window in
1"x 2"s for framing, plexi-glass cut to size at Lowe's
I made my own washers out of hose gasket rubber
they look lame but they work
I cut the screws down with bolt cutters, used a lot of caulk because DH made the hole a tad big and painted over it all. A little less conspicuous
nest box framing
I didn't have 2 exact sized hospital pans so I cut down cat litter buckets
I thought this was done until I painted it and the front warped grrr
we had to use this awful looking plywood
I was able to sand, caulk and paint it so it didn't look horrendous
I siliconed all the screws but I may cut them and re do it again. we still need to notch out around that hasp.
The nest box divider is removable
I saved the piece we cut for the nest box, it's wedged back in until they are old enough to lay
Note the poop board, it was a pretty warped piece so I glued some shims on, cut them down and painted them. Removable kick board (I plan on doing deep litter in the house and sand in the run)
removable roost, removable poop board
pop door assembly, scrap 1"x 3"s with 1"x 2"s attached at the outer edges and bottom
scrap piece of plywood with a 1"x 2" at the top (sisal was for trial run)
painted, added chicken ladder
I'm proud, I did thismyself
scrap of 1"x 2" for a stop
small pulleys and carabiners installed
1/2 a yard of sand is a lot! This is all left over after filling the coop with 4-5"
On the ladder I did a base coat then did the 2nd coat with sand mixed in for better traction
I still have to caulk a few things and put on a cord wrap but other than that we are done. I do plan on adding a bigger run without a "roof" next year. Feel free to ask me any questions