Ugly but functional. My coop is 8' x 4' x 5' high with 8 1'cube nesting boxes. The nesting boxes are on the back of the hen house with a hinged lid for easy access. Almost all the materials used are repurposed materials we had on hand. The only thing I bought was a 50' roll of 4' high chicken wire, hinges, locking latches, and 2 x 4's for framing. All the walls and roof are plywood and tin I already had, and had been given to me. I only have pics of the outside of the finished product. Later I will add a couple of pics from the inside. We have two roost bars 8' each, with plans to add another roost bar. I started out by making the frame with 2 x 4's then made the nest box base, sides, and seperating interior walls. We then attached plywood pieces to make walls of the hen house, attached the hinged nest box lid, and the tin for the roof. It took about 5-6 hours to complete start to finish. The next day we made the enclosed run using the chicken wire,and re-purposed fencing. We used a piece of the plywood for a door into the coop. Here are the pics I have right now.
Hen House Side View, door into coop is to the left.
In this pic you can see the nest boxes in the back (right side) and the run on the left side of this pic.
Here is the back of the hen house. The roof tin overhangs about 3-4 foot for better weather protection. You can see the tools hanging on the left of the hen house. I got these at Murdoch's they are small garden tools and I use them to clean poop from the nests.
In this pic you can just see inside the hen house. Like I said, it isn't pretty, but it's functional and was cheap to build. Maybe this summer I will paint it so it will look a little better.
First day in the coop. We built the fencing roof the day they came home. They scratched the grass away by the next afternoon.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!