<CITY AND STATE> Chicken Ordinance
Are Chickens Allowed in this location Yes Max Chickens Allowed 4 Roosters Allowed No Permit Required
Written Consent from Neighbors, 25% of Subdivision, and HOA's *consent form available under "additional info"
1. Requirements prior to maintaining chickens on property:
a) The property owner desiring to maintain chickens on their property located in an area without a HOA and not within a platted subdivision must obtain the consent of all abutting property owners (those actually sharing a boundary line).
b) Those property owners desiring to maintain chickens on their property located within an area with a Homeowners Association (HOA) must obtain the permission of the HOA;
c) Those property owners desiring to maintain chickens on their property located in an area without a HOA but within a platted subdivision, must receive the consent of twenty-five (25%) percent of the property owners within said platted subdivision;
2. All petitions, maps, consents, HOA decisions must be delivered to the Building
Department prior to the
establishment of chickens on any property.
1. No more than four (4) chickens may be kept, with roosters prohibited;
2. No person shall slaughter any chickens for any reason or use;
3. The chickens shall be provided with a movable covered enclosure (i.e. "henhouse/coop") and must be kept in the covered enclosure or a fenced enclosure at all times. Chickens must be secured within the movable henhouse/coop during non-daylight hours;
4. The space per bird in the henhouse/coop shall not be less than four (4) square feet per bird;
5. No covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall be located in the front yard, nor shall the henhouse/coop
6. be closer than ten (10) feet to any property line of an adjacent property, nor within twenty-five (25) feet of any adjacent residential structure. Odors from chickens, chicken manure, or other chicken related substances shall not be detectable at the property boundaries;
6. All enclosures for the keeping of chickens shall be so constructed and maintained as to prevent rodents or other pests from being harbored underneath, within, or within the walls of the enclosure. The henhouse/coop must be impermeable to rodents, wild birds, and predators, including dogs and cats. Enclosures shall be kept in a neat condition, including provision of clean, dry bedding materials and regular removal of waste materials. All manure not used for composting or fertilizing shall be removed promptly;
7. All feed and other items associated with the keeping of chickens that are likely to attract or to become infested with or infected by rodents or other pests shall be kept in secure containers or otherwise protected so as to prevent rodents and other pests from gaining access to or coming into contact with them;
8. Chickens shall be kept for personal use only. The selling of chickens, eggs or chicken manure, or the breeding of chickens for commercial purposes in the City of Rockledge is prohibited.
9. No animal that kills a chicken will, for that reason alone, be considered a dangerous or aggressive animal.
10. If the coop structure exceeds eighty (80) square feet in size (8 foot by 10 foot), a building permit is required to be obtained from the Rockledge Building Department.
11. The coop and enclosure must be screened from the neighbor's view using an opaque fence and/or landscape screen.
12. Chickens shall not be permitted to trespass on neighboring properties, be released or set free, and shall be kept within a coop and enclosure.
13. The City of Rockledge may require an initial inspection
of the property following the construction of a coop.
City/Organization Contact name Rockledge City Hall ph#: 321-690-3978, or message me (Erin Cross) Additional Information Printable consent form I created to help residents gather signatures Link for more Information For nitty gritty details and help looking up your subdivision http://www.avidhomestead.com/pet-chickens-now-legal-in-rockledge.aspx Information Last Updated Feb 11, 2013
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!