This started out as a simple coop made from salvaged materials from around my home and a few items purchased from my local Habitat Re-Store. It's my first attempt at a coop and like many others, there are several things that I would have done differently but it is what it is and has gone through a few different changes and upgrades along the way. I call it Chicken Coop version 4.25.
The latest additions have been the door on the front which makes it easier to replace the food and water instead of raising the roof and fighting back chickens trying to escape. I also added the interior roof mounted exhaust fan and lighting system which are both on timers. The exhaust fan keeps it cool during the day and the lighting system in in place when winter comes around so I can keep it warm and provide a few extra hours of "daylight" Today I added some length to the dividers between the nesting boxes because they continued to roost on the sides and poop into the nesting boxes. I also found out the hard way that the door on the back was way too large and once again I had to fight back chickens when I opened it to inspect the boxes. To fix this I added a small door below the large one for egg access.
My next project will be to construct a small attached pen with a sliding trap door so I can herd them into it and trap them there when its time to clean out the coop. It will be like an exercise yard in a prison.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!