Santa Ana, CA Chicken Ordinance
Are Chickens Allowed in this location Yes Max Chickens Allowed 4 Roosters Allowed No Permit Required Special Permit for more than 4. Coop Restrictions No more than 4 chickens must be kept 30 feet away from neighboring residence, just passed. More than 4 must be kept 100 feet away with other restrictions. City/Organization Contact name Santa Ana Municipal Codes Additional Information
Sec. 5-1. - Definitions.
Unless the particular provisions or the context otherwise requires the definitions and provisions contained in this section shall govern the construction meaning and application of words and phrases used in this chapter.
(a) Animal includes, but not limited to, birds, cats, dogs, fishes, fowl, rabbits, reptiles and nonhuman mammals.
d) Domesticated animal means any dog, housecat (felis catus), livestock, rabbit, poultry or bird.
(f) Estray means any animal found running at large upon any land within the city.
(g) Fowl means any larger domestic bird generally used for food and includes, but is not limited to, the chicken, duck, goose and turkey.
Sec. 5-6. - Permit required for large number of fowl, etc.
(a) No person shall keep or maintain more than four (4) in number of any fowl (excluding roosters which are not permitted within the City of Santa Ana per section 5-6.5 hereof), rabbit, or any combination thereof, on any premises within the City of Santa Ana unless a special permit has been issued, subject to the rules and regulations provided in this section and the approval of the city department of planning and development services. Permits may be revoked on any grounds which would be sufficient to deny issuance. Any person aggrieved by the action of the animal control officer in denying or revoking a permit may appeal to the city council as provided in Chapter 3 of this Code.
(b) Any person keeping or maintaining more than four (4) in number of fowl (excluding roosters which are not permitted within the City of Santa Ana per section 5-6.5 hereof), rabbits, or any combination thereof, on any premises within the city of Santa Ana shall be subject to the following rules and regulations:
(1) All buildings, pens, runs, or other places where such fowl and/or rabbits are kept shall be located at least one hundred (100) feet from any residence, the owner's excepted.
(2) The floors of every such building shall be smooth and tight and maintained so as to prevent accumulation of filth or water.
(3) The floor area of every such building where the fowl and/or rabbits are given free run shall be of sufficient area so as to allow for two and one-half (2½) square feet per fowl and/or rabbit.
(4) All dead animals, manure, refuse, feathers, and other waste matter shall be removed within a reasonable time, not to exceed forty-eight (48) hours, or kept in fly-tight containers until such removal.
(5) If runs are provided and the formation of ground therefor is such that it cannot be kept in a clean and sanitary condition at all times as required by the state or local health department, the floor of said runs or pens shall be constructed of cement, said cement to be laid so as to prevent rodents from entering thereunder.
(6) Rabbits must be kept in hutches so constructed as not to allow the urine to pollute the ground, and provided with floors that are removable for the purpose of cleaning and disinfecting; no box hutches will be permitted.
(Ord. No. NS-1466, § 6, 2-5-79; Ord. No. NS-1720, § 1, 4-2-84; Ord. No. NS-2134, § 5, 7-1-91)
Link for more Information
Information Last Updated July 19, 2012