We initially were going to purchase a pre-fab coop, but then realized we didn't really need our 8x8 garden shed, so after some convincing of my husband, moved the shed across the yard onto a new floor, and started the project.
I decided on sand as the coop litter after a lot of reading. So far, it has worked out well. I use a litter scoop to clean up the droppings. I also enclosed the roost with chicken wire, have removable 2x4s for easy cleaning, and have a droppings door to the outside. I used an old Subaru mat that I can remove and spray off the droppings weekly. Keeps the girls out of the majority of poop.
The run is covered on the west side. We will eventually do some landscaping around the perimeter to make it look a little nicer, but for now, the girls seem very happy with their new home!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!