Today I started Signature Series Coop 006. After discussion some details with the client two things stood out in importance.....old barn and portable. So after a couple weeks of looking I picked up the right trailer to build the coop on. I stopped by the steel yard on the way hope just to get a couple things and totally scored. This 1930,s axle and spoke wheels is perfect for this coop. This is going to be fun.First attempt not so good. Went out and towed a trailer home that night.
The next day we discovered that it had somehow mysteriously turned into a pile of rust on two wheels during the night.
Useful parts? None. Axel to wide to heavy and the tires didn't match. Scrap pile.
Second attempt not so good.This is a boat trailer.
To long, to heavy, suspension to unstable to support weight, tires undersized and under capacity.
Two questions being asked right now:Why and when.
Why did I bring this home & when did the 100# anvil fall out of the sky and hit me in the head ?
Specific locations are figured and measured out on the red blueprint on the floor.
Thinking : center of gravity, light weight, coil spring, leaf spring, sway bar, ladder bar, height, weight, strength, stability, drop down clean out panel, drawer , pop door, ramp, roost, nest boxes, windows , vents, carriage bolts, third fold up wheel, roof, gutters and I have it all figured out.
I Sand Blasted the axle and wheels down to as close to bare metal as I could get.
These are what I like to use to prepare metal:
wire wheels, sand paper, steel wool ,
garnet, vinegar, navel jelly, zinc oxide, red oxide prim er, and a whole lot of elbow grease.
I picked up the square tubing and other materials from the steel yard.
I dug the 2 inch out from a pile , it is a perfect size and weight.I cut and laid out the 2 frame rails ready to grind and weld.Ok....get ready.....get set...KA-BLAM ....rock and roll. Turn up the heat on this project.
the frame was plated with pressure treated 2 x 4s.
I ripped down and planed 2x2,s for framing.Then started building the structure. The back is where the roosts will be.
3/4 plywood was primed painted and installed for the main floor
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!