We converted an old hog house into our chicken coop. We cut 4 foot(it is 4x10 feet) off the front of the hog house and took boards from the hog house to use in the remodeling of the chicken coop. The only bad part of using the OLD hog house is that the boards were extremely hard and we could not nail into them without drilling first. we attached the hog house to an existing utility shed.My daughter was ashamed of the hog house! I can't figure out why!! LOL. After attaching we wrapped the entire shed with 1/2 inch hardware cloth including under the floor and buried it 12 inches in the ground all around the shed
. Since the hog house was old and full of holes we wanted to make sure the babies were as safe as possible.We used the old boards to make the floor.
We insulated after wrapping with hardware cloth. Then we were ready for the siding and roof. My husband had to make the door from scratch (there is no door on the market that will work)He used 1X4's and the siding to make the door. He made the door so there was a "flap" on the inside to add a bit more protection for the chicks.It is a very tight closing door.
We temporarily ran a heavy duty extension cord so the chicks could have their heat lamp. I moved them in to their new home when they were 4 weeks old, I moved them with their brooder and penned them in about 1/3 of the house. when they are a bit older I will give them the rest of the hen house to run free. We still have some trim work to do and we need to get the poultry netting up. It won't be warm enough for them to roam outside for a few more weeks, so we still have a little time to get it finished. They look content and happy......
We got the roost and nesting boxes in today. We left the center of the coop open so we could hang the feed and waterer, plus it gives them more room to roam we have started framing the run too. Hope to have it all up and enclosed by the weekend. We finall have it all finished 9except a few minor things) Here is the new chicken run as we were framing it and after we were finshed
one little chick got brave and stepped out to see what was going on. A few minutes later the rest of them were out an scratching around. For our first coop and run, I think we did pretty good.