Well we decided after a year of keeping chickens and a recent dog attack to redo our coop. The original coop was a tractor with a chicken wire A Frame run. Wasn't very secure and could only hold 5 or 6 chickens. My hubby didn't have time to build something for me so I went with a pre-made coop from Leonard. I LOVE IT! Well we needed a secure run. So we set about with the help of our contractor to build a secure run. The run is 6 by 10, covered metal roof and hardwire all around. We repurposed a old screen door (covered in hardwire as well) and we have a secure coop/run (hopefully). Final thing to do is either dig out and run wire out so nothing can dig under coop or maybe put in raised bed planters or run pavers all around. I am so excited. We had one "big" girl survive the dog attack and she seems to really like the coop. While we were working on it today she was in the corner taking a nap. The babies (about 7-8 weeks old) are enjoying it to, especially after being in a brooder. They now have some freedom. Of course I can't let them out together as the older one hasn't warmed up to the younger ones yet.
Update - One thing I forgot to add was a chicken door. There is a door for me to go in and out but it would have been nice to have a access door that could be opened from the outside to let the girls out. Hubby said not to worry he can add it!
This is Nutmeg enjoying the new coop!
Here are Bella (tetra tint), Haley the banty and Teddy (red sex link) enjoying the new coop and run!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!