Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin Chicken Ordinance

  1. Chicks By The Bay
    Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin Chicken Ordinance

    Are Chickens Allowed in this locationYes
    Max Chickens AllowedNo limit
    Roosters AllowedYes
    Permit RequiredNo
    Coop Restrictionsnone
    City/Organization Contact name
    Additional InformationI contacted the city and this part of the city code was cited. I may have chickens, including roosters. Poultry is not restricted. However, if neighbors complain about noise from my rooster, I must get rid of him. 12.05 Keeping of animals restricted. (1) No person shall keep any cows, pigs raised for agricultural purposes, donkeys, sheep, goats, horses, ponies or mules, except for pot bellied pigs, in the city, except in areas zoned agricultural. (2) The number of such animals as enumerated in subsection (1) or any combination thereof allowable under this section shall be computed at one-half acre per animal on only that portion of the property actually used for keeping of such animals. No stable or other building or structure shall be used for the keeping, harboring or sheltering of any of the above animals unless such building or structure is located at least 150 feet from the nearest residence other than the residence of the keeper of such animals which is located on the property where the animals are kept. (3) Upon application filed with the clerk-treasurer, a special permit may be granted by the council for permission to keep such animals as herein listed in areas zoned other than agricultural. The council may grant such a special permit only after an inspection and report by the health officer and after the council finds there will be no health hazard involved. If such a special permit is granted by the council, such permit shall be subject to all provisions of this section applicable to the keeping of animals, unless otherwise stated by the council in its resolution granting such special permit. The council may also make such special permit conditional as it deems necessary. Special permits shall be issued for not to exceed six months, and extensions may be granted in up to six-month increments, one extension at a time, after recertification by the health officer and action by the council. The duty to apply and reapply for an extension is upon the person seeking the special permit. (4) Whenever the animals enumerated in subsection (1) are located in an agricultural zoned area which is contiguous to a nonagricultural zoned area or whenever such animals are located in an area other than agricultural by special permit, the area used for the keeping and/or grazing of the animals shall be set back a minimum of 25 feet from the property line of the property so used. (Code 1992, ยง 12.05)
    Link for more Information
    Information Last Updated2010-05-30 20:33:18

    NOTE: This information was submitted by a member of our chicken forum. Please make sure to double check that this information is accurate before you proceed with raising chickens. You can read more info about checking local laws here..

    Share This Article


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: