In May of 2012, the Mrs. decided that we needed a bigger coop for our hens. I got the tall order to build a coop that would be functional and sturdy. We live on a fixed income, so the major expense was of course the wood. I used wood screws on just about everything except the chicken wire. I wanted this thing to last for a while. I got ideas from everywhere at BYC, and really appreciate this great website. I have never built a coop, so pardon my 1st attempt. It was fun to build and the girls really loved moving out of their tiny pen into The Bama Layers Coop. They are all Crimson Tide Football Fans as you can see from the front door.
The coop is 4 X 4 with a 4 X 8 run attached. By building the coop 2 feet off the ground, the hens have
another 4 X 4 ft of run. If someone can get some ideas from this page, please do. I hope you enjoy
your chickens as much as we do. As for plans.... didn't have any. Just kind of built as I went. Used
a DeWalt hammer drill for most of the drilling and screws. Added primer, and barn paint on the exterior. Used some latex paint left over from building our house for the interior.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!