So our town voted against having chickens because the animal shelter cannot accommodate a chicken. The shelter can handle pit bulls, feral animals, snakes, but God forbid a rogue chicken.
Rather than deal with fighting city hall idiots, we built an ultra-stealthy coop we like to call the "Cheep-Easy".
The beauty of this coop is threefold:
- CHEAP - total cost of closet door runner, two pieces of plywood,several trellis(we already had the dog run) and some hardware cloth.
- FUN - indoor viewing window!
- STEALTHY - you cannot see anything from the street when the garage door is open
A few notes on construction:
1. We just slapped some plywood up over some existing shelving, with large windows covered in hardware cloth for ventilation.
2. We installed closet door runners under the shelf, so we have a smoothly operating door to change water/feed and clean.
3. There was a dog door already existing going to the outside dog run. I just put trellis over the dog run so the chickens are not visible from the backyard. The outside part of coop is visible from inside our house, we just lucked out that way.
4. The nest box is just a corner cabinet flipped on its side.
5. The bedding is tube sand with Sweet PDZ (horse stall deodorizer)
Hope this helps out my fellow would-be bandit coop builders. Thanks for looking!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!