The Hensleys' Coop
This step by step series was graciously submitted by the Hensley family (Mallorys Mom and Mallorys Dad on our message forum).
[ click any image to enlarge - use your 'back' button to return ]GENERAL DIMENSIONS:
The finished size is 8' x 12'. The roof slopes from its highest point of 8' down to 6 1/2'. Two shutters, each 12" x 18", are located on the back of the shed for fresh air and have a piece of 1" sq galvanized wire (for fences) placed between the plywood and the studs. The aluminum vents (2' x 2 1/2') are located on either end of the shed and are for air circulation. The chickens "door" to go into the run is a 16" x 16" opening (no cover- but there is a gate on the fence to keep them from leaving the coop). The human entrance is 2 1/2' x 6' and is located next to the chicken door.
- Lots and lots of galvanized nails - 16d 3 1/4" for the skeleton and 8d 2 1/2" for attaching the plywood.
- Foundation - two 4" x 4" x 8' and two 4" x 4" x 12' wolmanized posts.
- Floor joists - two 2" x 6"x 12' wolmanized planks (for front and back pieces) ten 2" x 6" x 8' wolmanized planks (for the joists)
- Flooring - three 4' x 8' sheets of 3/4" tongue and groove plywood
- Walls - sixty 2" x 4" x 8' wall studs (they are a couple of inches shorter than 8' to allow for the foot and head boards). studs were placed on 12" centers.
- Wall covering - ten 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheets plywood
- Roof trusses - two 2" x 4" x 12' wolmanized (for front and back pieces) fourteen 2" x 4" x 10' wolmanized (for the trusses - this allows for a foot overhand on the front and back)
- Roofing - eight 2' 2" by 10' sheets clear corrugated fiberglass (should have one to two inch overlap on each section) box of siding nails to attach fiberglass sheets
- Vents - two 2' x 2 1/2' aluminum vents. four strips 2" wide aluminum vents to put underneath soffits (cut length to fit).
- Hardware - four small hinges for window shutters (two each) and two latches to secure them. Three large hinges, one handle grab (for inside) and eyehook latch (also for inside) for the people door.