Well my chicken "problem" stated about 6 months ago... I got a book on raising the little buggers and read it about a dozen times. My wife was not on board but when a friend had an incubator I could borrow I quickly got on line and ordered up some hatching eggs and tried to pawn it off on being a "good experience for our daughters"... which it was but ultimately it was so I could finally be a chicken owner myself. It has been a really fun experience and I think my wife is even beginning to get excited about our first egg which should come in the next month or so... anyway here goes with my coop building story:
Its all started when these beauties arrived from 2 different breeders I found on the auction site here on BYC both were great to buy from and I would highly recommend plus the chickens look great:
Of course then it was time to start building a coop.... I combined this one I saw and liked on BYC which has great plans:
And this other one I liked the looks of which I actually bought the plans for but it was more construction than I was up for:
And the result was this beauty:
I didnt take too many photos along the way but I pretty much just winged it and used the plans for the trictles chicken coop but then just started making it my own once I got the basic framework built. My daughter helped with the pink steps if it were her choice the whole thing would be pink. Some things I like/leared/would have done differently...
1) The trim really makes it look like a finished product I got all of that at home depot.
2) 2 coats of white paint help with the finished look and I painted the inside as well.
3) They hens are not laying eggs yet but I dont have a good way to keep the nesting box lid up I will have to figure that out. I should have built it with 2 hinges vs 1 its a little wobbly but will be fine.
4) I did the pulley door that I saw people on here do and that works great.
5) I used decomposed granite in the bottom of the coop and that has been good as well.
6) The coop was naturally surrounded on 3 sides by a brick wall and garage so it lended itself well to this design as I only needed to build the one fence/wall with a door and that gave the hens much more space than a coop with a run built in.
Here are some more pictures:
Window on one side and the gap between the roof and fence lets air circulate.
This is the back door its a double wide swing open that makes it easy to clean out the dirty litter... about 1x per month is what I have been doing and that goes straight into the compost pile. There are 2 roosting bars but of course they all squeeze on to the top roosting bar at night.
View of the inside... pulley guillotine door and nesting boxes.
And here is the only picture I have of it "under construction"
Almost done before the fence and chickens moved in...
And here is our flock all named by my 2 year old.... Minny, Bambi, Funky (has a weird foot), Funky Sistuh, BokBok, Hello Kitty and Daisy (not pictured below but in the other photos she is the Barnie we bought after ours didn't hatch)....
We had to give 3 roosters away but over all got really lucky on the hen/roo ratio... the breeds we have are German New Hampshire, Welsummer, Black Copper Marans, Barnevelder, Olive Egger (splash) and 2 Creme Legbars.
Hope you enjoyed the post... let me know if you have any questions.