Like everyone else, I scoured BYC's Coop Section over and over to decide how to make our coop. Although we have alot of stored lumber, we decided to go with a shed conversion. We found an old used 6 X 8 shed on Craigslist for $500. We talked the guy down to $400 and had it brought to the house
It was a mess! But my amazing husband got to work with the pressure washer. He worked a miracle!
After much deliberation, we decided to stain it. I had seen a picture that Fresh Eggs Daily on FB had posted and used it for the inspiration for the outside. Who knew we needed so much stain! We also went to our local Habitat for Humanity Restore and picked up two windows for $50. They were perfect. We will also do a vent for additional air flow. And the flower boxes were icing on the cake!
Then the hard work began....we decided on an 8 X 20ft run. As you can see above, my husband and my father-in-law started the framework by burying the posts. And below, they buried the 1/2 inch hardware cloth a foot in the ground.
Our cat, Callie, after completing her inspection....
This is where we are so far....we have three weeks to finish the run and get the inside of the coop ready before the girl move in. They are happily safe in their brooder for now. Did I mention how in love I am with them already and its only been two weeks!
We will be doing the inside next week and I will post some updates! Thanks for checking out our coop transformation!
Here is the enclosed run finished. We actually have a shade mesh that cover the top of the run blocking out 80% of the sunlight.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!