1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wiscoop

  1. blackdog45
    This is my first coop and I started the build this summer/fall so I can be ready to get chickens in the spring. The footprint is 6x8 and the front wall is 8' tall and the back wall is 7'. The walls are fairly tall for ease of getting inside and cleaning and also maximize the use of 8' material. Not sure I needed to make it that tall but it is much easier to get around in there.

    I used green treated material for the posts, edge boards, and deck and otherwise construction lumber for everything else. I tried to save money when I could with the construction the windows were from a used material store for $1 each. The sheet metal for the roof was scratch and dent from Menards and works fine for these purposes. Most expensive part was the plywood for the outside which was probably 1/3 of my cost.


    [​IMG]
    Started off by staking everything off and digging the post holes.


    [​IMG]
    Posts are in and outsides all put together.


    [​IMG]
    Deck is on.


    [​IMG]
    Started with the back wall because it was the simple one.


    [​IMG]
    Put the back wall up and then framed up the front wall and stood it up.


    [​IMG]
    The supervisor.


    [​IMG]
    Both side walls up and the roof is done. I brought out the windows to make sure they would fit in the space I made for them. I ended up having to tweak the front one a bit to get it to fit.


    [​IMG]
    Starting to put up the sheeting on the outside.


    [​IMG]
    The outside is completely covered and laying against the side will be the future door.


    [​IMG]
    The front window is set in. I just used some cheap hinges so it swings out like an awning so I can prop it open for airflow. The trim around the front is also up.


    [​IMG]
    Both windows are now set and the door is in. For the door I just used the piece I cut earlier and put some trim around it to give it some strength.


    [​IMG]
    Started to frame up the outdoor run. I didn't put as much planning into the run and it showed I had some problems with it. I made half the roof covered to give a bit of shelter in there. The coop is also painted now.


    [​IMG]
    Finished product. Used welded wire on the run to enclose it and some leftover mason wire sheets for the bottom for more strength. I still need to add some ventilation for the coop that I can open/close as I don't think the gaps in the metal on the front and back will be enough.

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by