I set out to build a coop using as many re-purposed materials as possible. Almost all of the structural pieces came from pallets that me and my Chihuahua "Dingo" found by scrounging behind stores. The materials that were purchased were pretty low cost. Total spend was somewhere between $150-$200. The ventilation windows on front and the doors on the right side that access the nest boxes all came from Habitat For Humanity at $5.00 each. The interior is composed of all sorts of odds and ends and the siding was left over from the home remodel. As for "design"...it just sort of materialized as parts came together that fit but I will show major features further down on this page.
When it was almost complete, my boyfriend and I went to the feed store to look for chicks. I told the woman at the store that the coop was almost done, so we were ready to take some babies home. She said that was terrific and went on to explain that some people are so loony that they build coops to look like mini-versions of their homes. We both busted out laughing! This is our home.
This was my construction crew looking out of what became the nest box doors . From left to right, Lola (who became "Chief" when she crowed), Pumpkin, Cleo and Sassy.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!