SHIPPED HATCHING EGGS.....what's your experience been?

I LOVE COCHINS

ChochieChochieCoo
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I've read a lot about shipped eggs, the good and the bad and the ugly. Right now I'm on my first hatching experience ever. They're shipped eggs, I bought a dozen and I received 14 eggs.
love.gif
March 13 was my expected hatch date. So far I have 5 BEAUTIFUL chicks and one is pipped.
celebrate.gif

I would love to hear/read how well your Shipped eggs
jumpy.gif
hatched. Hope to hear from you all soon!
caf.gif

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Breed - BBS Standard Cochins
Shipped from? - Mississippi
Shipped to? - California
How many eggs? - 14
How many hatched? - 6 ( I'm in the middle of my hatch, so I will update after it's finished)
Over all Experience? - 9 1/2
ya.gif

How Many Roos-
How many Pullets-

Last edited:
Congrats on your hatch!
I've got my first batch of shipped eggs "cookin" in the bator right now.
Here's my stats so far:

Breed: cuckoo Marans
Shipped from Ohio
Shipped to Idaho
12 eggs shipped, no broken ones
culled 3 at 7 days, 9 due 3/24

I'll rate after the hatch!

Congrats on the hatch! My first shipped eggs are in the bator now and they are due to hatch tomorrow. I started with 8, all arrived safely, I had two clear, one that had a blood ring, and one that I broke on accident, so, I have 4 left with one pipped now. So, I will definately hatch out shipped eggs again
smile.png

We received nine from an Ebay purchase last week and candled on day six last night. One clear, one clear with a scrambled air cell, one blood ring, three that looked good and three that show some veining and a dot, but less than the good three. We've had excellent results (90+ %) in our home-built with eggs we carefully collected and stored ourselves, and it's been holding temp and humidity very steady as usual this time so I've got to think the way we acquired them is the difference. Just hoping for the best at this point.

I've had decent luck with shipped eggs. I never expect more than 50%, and have had better hatch's than that. I've only done rare or endangered breeds, so to me it's worth it. I wouldn't own those breeds if I didn't take a chance.

Last edited:
I have hatched from lots of shipped eggs, had some good hatches, some not so good. I think the key is packaging, if eggs are packed and get there in one piece, that is the first hurdle.
Second is Temp & Humidity, I don't think one thing works for everyone, you take the parameters for day 1-18 and for hatching and figure out what works for you in you area.
Next , keep in mind that even in a perfect world sometimes Chicks don't hatch or pip and die.

Overall I would say average on shipped would be 50-60 percent would be a good hatch.

Most of the time a 50% hatch is good with shipped eggs. A lot depends on the PO and how they handled them. I have found that most people who ship eggs are very good at packing them. But if the box is treaded wrong and tossed around your going to scramble the eggs no matter what.

just hatched a batch of ebay eggs. i bought a dozen but she shipped me 30. 2 were broken upon delivery. the others all developed and grew. so far out of the remaing 28, 20 have hatched. i do not know about the other 8 as i have not candled them yet. so will wait and see. but that is about a 72% hatch rate which is great for shipped eggs.

I have had eggs shipped to me twice. 1st time i got eggs all arrived in good shape not one busted or cracked. It was the P.o.s fault on them being 7 days late out of the 9 eggs i got 3 hatched.

2nd time they were packed perfect arrived in 2 days but. looked like the box had been kicked around. They was I think 10 chicken eggs 3 turkey eggs and 4 duck eggs. 2 of the duck eggs were busted 1 of the turkey eggs were busted and 2 of the chicken eggs were busted.

So my luck has been "OK" with shipped eggs. Seller Awesome job P.o horrible job.

I have hatched shipped eggs and have had good luck. The farthest was a set of RIR eggs I got sent from Montana to Louisiana....3/12.....If I want better hatch rates, I look for someone who is near to my state....I usually use a Brinsea Octagon 20 at home and a Lyon TX7 at school....

Back
Top Bottom