Remembering Pip-Squeak

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

I have mentioned my chick here before, about her sick feet. Crusty feet , scabbed feet. I found on a chicken sight to use tea tree oil and swab foot. So that is what I have done for the last few days. It improved massively. The bottoms of her feet looked normal, aside from small scabs that were left.
Here is a post that I made earlier last week regarding her feet: ing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1949389

NOW: Her left foot has filled with blood on the bottom. Filled meaning, when you press on it you can visually see the blood move to other parts of the foot, between the toes and up onto the heal. It's very strange and scary. I thought she was getting better, now I don't know what to do. I hope thate photos I provided will show what is happening.

I hope someone will be able to help. This chick has come a long way. I would hate to lose her now.

Jessica

Last edited:
Don't keep moving the blood around under the skin. It is probably healing and the blood is trapped between the layers. Let her body re-absorb it. The bottom of her foot looks like she has a blister healing. If you still have her on wood shavings, put her on something else. She may have had a reaction to the wood. Yes, pine does have some scent and/or oils left in it that a few may have a reaction too, or the wood could have been exposed to a chemical. Pine is much better than cedar, but can still make trouble in some cases. That baby's feet had a reaction to something, and she might be better off on newspapers or paper towels for a while.

How do I separate her onto other bottom material....when I don't have another heat lamp or waterer.

If I taker her out completely she will prob peep like crazy and become stressed.

Quote:
Put in a barrier within your brooder [box within a box?] and have the heat lamp positioned so that it shines on both sides.

Good idea....and I would add....maybe you should put in another chick or two with him to keep him from PEEPING to loudly!

You have over a dozen threads going about this issue. It would be helpful to all who are trying to help you and to follow this to keep all information, updates and photos in one place. I know you are new, and welcome to BYC, but it's almost impossible to get all of the information and give advice when it's spread out over a dozen threads.

In one of your threads - you were given this advice. Did you follow it? It sounds like she knows what she's talking about. From the multiple threads I've looked at, this condition is spreading and includes her eyes and has varied from one stage to another on her feet. Someone reading just one thread wouldn't get the full picture so please keep it all confined to one spot and those with experience can help you.

Quote:
I'ts Chick Dermatitis..If not already it will have crusty sores in the corner of the mouth as well as the vent..A water soluble vitamin supplement containing Pantothenic Acid and Biotin is what is needed..this will clear it up in 5 to 7 days........Durvet High Performance Poultry Pak, GQF Vitamins Plus and Avian Super Pack are good ones just to name a few..TSC usually has the Durvet Vitamins......

I was not aware that I could continue the thread and have it still be read by others without making a new one. I apologize for upsetting you. I was just trying to get help for my sick chick. I was in no way trying to make things complicated for you. It seems I have upset you, for that I am sorry.

I found another thread on another forum that suggested using tea tree oil for the feet of a chick who had skin conditions. I took a chance and did this. It healed her within a few days. But on top of that she started collecting blood in her foot...not sure why or what happened...but I wanted some advice as to how I could fix it. Today it seems to be absorbing back into her foot again. Hopefully she will get better. We have cared for this chick daily, LOTS of TLC and I would hate for her to die.

From now on, I will continue on the same post. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jessica

Quote:
Hi, you didn't upset me at all. I'm just offering advice and it's in the BYC rules. Normally a Mod will lock a thread that is a duplicate of another just to keep all the information in one place. I'm actually just trying to help you - I know you are new and maybe did not know.

In your case, there is more going on with this chick than treating the feet with tea tree oil. It has some sort of disease that keeps spreading to different body parts and taking on different symptoms. I would try following the advice of Pine Grove and research Chick Dermatits. How is it's eye coming along - one thread was about the eye closing up?

Again, I'm just trying to help you. Others will be able to help if all info and pics are in one thread. All you have to do is to add more information and pictures to the same thread. You can edit the title to add "UPDATE....New Symptom - page 3" or something like it by clicking on your very first post and choose "EDIT" and then change the title a bit. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your guidance. It seemed I had upset you, glad that I didn't.

Her eye had something that had happened to it. She was keeping it closed, not closing it. It's fine and more wide open now.

She has been small since the beginning....but is eating and drinking and now her feathers are coming in. I did follow the advice for dermatitis. The entire flock was on antibiotics and vitamin supplements for a while and now just vitamin supplements. However, the feet didn't start healing until the use of tea tree oil. Therefore, I am convinced that the oil helped and maybe a combination of the vitamins and antibiotics as well.

The blood in her foot has seemed to absorb back into the foot now. The feet still seem tender and a bit puffy. She favors one a bit. I put a towel in the brooder, which she slept on last night. It's a bit hard to keep clean so I am rotating the towels and laundering them now in between use.

I want her to make it, and am doing everything possible.

The others are trying to establish pecking order and will go up to her and take a stance, like "I'm in charge". She just seems to stand there and look at them. If she could talk she would be saying, "Look, are you stupid, I am smaller, weaker and hurting. I'm at the bottom, leave me alone." LOL Poor thing.

Anyway...I will continue to update on this thread. Thank you for the advice.

Jessica

Back
Top Bottom