Is 2 too many roos

Quadog

Songster
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
I got 11 hens & 2 roos. All about 5 month old. I don't have a problem with the crowing (In fact, I kinda like it) & I live in the counrty where neighbors aren't a concern.
My question is... Will there be trouble in the flock when they get a little older? Should I get rid of one now or wait & see? Is 2 too many for 11 hens?

It's going to be just a little bit too much testosterone out there but I'd just wait and see. If your two boys really start tearing the girls apart and everybody's walking around nekkid all the time it's going to be time to let one go.

They just started to mount the gals. I haven't seen any fighting between the roos but I noticed that the EE gives the big ol' BR plenty of space.

I recently had 11 hens and 2 roosters. It was a LITTLE too few hens, but one of the roos (the Alpha) took seven of the hens, and the other roo got four. Everybody got along with minimal disagreement over the girls. Our situation was a little different, because the two roos were together before we introduced them to our girls as adults. You may just have to watch them and see what happens.

I think it probably is. I mean there are always exceptions to the rule but I personally would not have more than one with 11 hens.
You could have some bad fighting between them.
They say the minimum is 12 hens per rooster, I actually have a higher ratio of hens to rooster than the 12:1 ratio in my own flock.
It keeps things calm.

Watch the roosters and see which one you like the best and get rid of the other or get some more hens.
I found the ee roosters to be nasty and my barred rock was better natured.

When I let them out to free range, they split up into 2 groups & it is always the same birds.

Last edited:
I've got 2 roos and 11 hens (also 2 cockerels) and haven't had any problems. The second roo (Nugget) is first roo's (Frost) son and even though he's already larger, he respects his dad. I have a pretty mild-mannered flock and am lucky that there haven't been any fights. I've watched their interactions and if Frost gets irritated at Nugget, he glares at him. Usually this is enough to make Nugget turn and walk away. I've seen Frost chase Nugget a few times, but never attack him. It really depends on the birds and your flock dynamics.

I'm trying to rehome one of the cockerels and the other has shown 0 interest in the hens or play fighting. I'm still not 100% percent sure at 6 months, that he is a he.

It's kinda funny, they have their spot on the roost that they go to every night. They sorta keep their gals seperated. If things stay the same, I think they will be ok. They are still young though & I don't really know what I'm talking about!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom